Rates FAQ  

How can I pay my Rates?

Your rates may be paid over the internet. Or phone us on 9377 8000 to discuss other options.

How to Pay Rates

Paying over the Internet

You can pay your rates online using credit card VIA the BPoint portal. Please have your current rates notice handy as you will need to quote your 10 digit reference number, which is shown on the bottom of your notice.

Proceed to BPoint (Online Payment)

By Bpay

Bpay is accessible anywhere and anytime you have access to your online, mobile or phone banking. You will need to have your rates notice handy with your 10 digit reference number and biller code. 

In Person

At the customer service centre at 35 Old Perth Road between 8.30am and 5.00pm, Monday to Friday. Payment can be made by cash, cheque, Eftpos, Mastercard or Visa

By Mail

Please use the reusable envelope to post all mail payments to:

Town of Bassendean
PO Box 87
Bassendean WA 6934

Retain the top of your rate notice as your record as receipts will not be issued.

Can I pay in Instalments?

The Town of Bassendean currently offers a 2 instalment or a 4 instalment payment scheme. These have been introduced in accordance with the Local Government Act. Things which prospective instalment payers must be made aware of:

An administration fee and an interest charge on the reducing balance of rates owed will apply. If an instalment payment is not made on time, then a daily interest charge will accrue until the instalment is paid in full. For fees and charges see the reverse of your rates notice. 

Council also wishes to advise that if you are having financial difficulties and will be unable to participate in the formal instalment scheme, you can make a written application to the Chief Executive Officer. Please note that any other arrangements will only be approved if financial difficulty is evident. Ratepayers must pay all outstanding rates, charges and accumulated interest by the first instalment date, if they wish to participate in the instalment payment scheme.

Due Date

Two Instalments

Four Instalments

1st Instalment Due

1st October 2021

1st October 2021

2nd Instalment Due

4 February 2022

3rd December 2021

3rd Instalment Due


4th February 2022

4th Instalment Due


8th April 2022

What are the Interest Charges on Overdue Amounts?

Under the Local Government Act, interest is charged on overdue amounts. Council has set this interest charge and it will be applied on a daily basis to amounts which are outstanding after 35 days from the date of issue of the rate notice. The interest charge will continue to be applied daily until all rates and charges are paid in full. The interest charge is also applicable if you do not make an instalment payment on time and will apply to those ratepayers with special payment arrangements. An administration fee will apply to all special arrangements. Only eligible pensioners will be exempt from being charged the interest charge.

Are there any Pensioner/Senior Concessions?

Are you currently receiving a concession on your Council Rates? If you are a pensioner/senior and fulfil the following criteria you may be eligible for a Concession on your rates and DFES levy:

  • Do you hold a current Pensioner/Senior Concession card? YES/NO
  • Did you own and occupy your property on the 1st of July of the New Financial Year? YES/NO

If you have answered YES to both of these questions, then you may be eligible for a Concession. Please contact Council’s Rates Section for further information.

If you are already registered, you do not need to re-register. However if your circumstances have changed since your registration you must notify Council immediately.

Entitled pensioners cannot defer payment of their Waste Service charge. To claim your Pension Rebate, your portion of the rates must be paid in full by the close of business before the end of the financial year.

How are my Rates Calculated

Your rates are determined by multiplying the rate in the dollar struck by Council by the Gross Rental Value for your property.

For example,
Property has GRV of $19,760 and the rate in the $ is 8.4395 cents.
Rates will be $19,760 x 0.084395 = $1667.64

Gross Rental Value (GRV)

All properties are rated on the basis of their Gross Rental Value, which is the rental value that the property would be expected to realise if let on a tenancy in any year. Any improvements to your property eg: building a house on vacant land, additions to an existing house, are likely to increase the value of your property.

Fire and Emergency Services Levy

The Emergency Services Levy is forwarded to DFES to fund the Career Fire and Rescue Service, Volunteer Fire and Rescue Service, Bush Fire Brigades, SES Units and DFES Units throughout Western Australia.

What if I Object to the Valuation of my Property?

If you feel that the valuation of your property is incorrect, you can lodge an objection against the valuation. This must be made in writing and received by the Valuer General, PO Box 2222, Midland WA 6936 or by Council within 60 days of the date of the issue of the rate notice.

A person who is dissatisfied with the decision of the Valuer General in respect of the objection may, within 60 days of service of notice of that decision serve notice on the Valuer General requiring the objection to be treated as an appeal and referred to the Land Valuation Tribunal.

Section 6.76 of the Local Government Act 1995, provides the grounds on which, and the time and manner in which, individual objections and appeals to the Rate Book may be instituted. An objection to the Rate Book shall be made in writing to the Council within 42 days of the date of issue of this rate notice.

If you have lodged an objection, either against your valuation or the ratebook you must pay your rates in full by the due date. Refunds will be given where the valuation is reassessed.

2021/2022 Rating information

Minimum Rate for Properties $1106.00
Rate in the Dollar - Improved Land 8.4395 cents
Rate in the Dollar - Unimproved (Vacant) Land 12.6593 cents
Instalment Fee $12.00
Special Arrangements $30.00
Interest on Instalments 5.5%
Interest on Payments 7%
Waste Disposal Charge $395.00 240L Red $520.00

Rubbish Charge non rated property

$470.00 240L Red $627.00
Second Rubbish Bin
General Waste 240L $285.00
General Waste 140L $165.00
Recycling 240L $40
FOGO 240L $160.00
Pensioner Rebate cap $750.00
Senior Rebate cap $100.00


Minimum $88.00
Maximum - Residential $446.00
Maximum - Commercial $254,000.00
1.5497c x GRV = Levy

What if I'm Experiencing Financial Hardship

The Town has developed a Financial Hardship Policy (6.29) to help people who are experiencing financial hardship and are seeking to enter into a payment agreement with the Town to pay off outstanding rates and service charges. Hardship applies if paying rates, charges or other debts due to the Town affects your ability to meet basic living needs such as a mortgage, rent, utility costs, food, clothing, medical treatment, education and other necessities. Hardship may arise from unemployment or under-employment, separation or divorce, caring for or supporting extended family, domestic or family violence, loss of a loved one, health problems, a chronically ill family member, business downturn, impact of natural disaster or a local, State or national emergency. Please find copy of the policy online, or you can pick one up in person or by phoning the Town on 9377 8000

Financial Hardship Policy

How do I apply for Financial Hardship Support

You will need to fill out a Financial Hardship Application Form, or you can pick one up in person or by phoning the Town on 9377 8000. Each application for financial hardship support will be considered on its merits and applicants will need to provide sufficient information, as outlined in the financial hardship policy, for the Town to assess their financial circumstances. Rates officers will discuss a payment agreement to clear the debt within three years, with administration fees and interest charges waived, subject to the application being approved and the payment agreement being adhered to.

Financial Hardship Application Form

What if I am not Experiencing Financial Hardship but need more time to Pay

The Town has developed a Recovery of Rates and Service Charges Policy (6.28) under which ratepayers who are unable to pay rates and service charges by the due date can apply in writing to enter into a payment agreement with the Town. Please find copy of the policy online, or you can pick one up in person or by phoning the Town on 9377 8000

Recovery of Rates and Service Charges Policy

How do I apply for a Payment Agreement

You will need to fill out a Payment Agreement Application Form, or you can pick one up in person or by phoning the Town on 9377 8000. A payment agreement will be structured to clear the debt due to the Town within a 12 month period and would normally require payments to be made by direct debit. Interest will continue to be payable on outstanding rates and service charges that are subject to a payment agreement with the Town.

Payment Agreement Application Form
Direct Debit Request Form

Additional Questions

If you have any queries in regards to your rate notice, contact the Council’s Rates Section on 9377 8000 or visit the office between 8.30am and 5.00pm Monday to Friday (excluding Public Holidays).

Register here to receive your Rates Notices via Email

By choosing e-Rates you will be assisting the environment by reducing the impact on trees, plastic, water, greenhouse gas emissions and landfill waste which is all part of paper, envelope printer cartridge and stamp production.

 Register for e-rates and you will receive your rate notices, final notice and instalment reminder notices via email. 

To register you must have your rates assessment number which can be found on the top of any previously issued rates notice or call Rates Services on 9377 8000

Click here to register

Proposed 2022/23 Differential Rates – Statement of Objects and Reasons

The Town of Bassendean hereby gives notice of its intention to impose differential rates on rateable property in the Town of Bassendean in the 2022/23 financial year.

Please find the notice and Statement of Objects and Reasons for proposed differential rates below.

Notice of intention to levy differential rates 2022/23

Statement of Objects and Reasons Proposed 2022/23 Differential Rates 

Statement of Objects and Reasons for the Levy of 2021/22 Differential Rates

At the Special Council Meeting held on 29 July 2021, Council resolved to implement Differential Rates for 2021/22.

You can read more about differential rates by clicking on the link below.

Statement of Objects and Reasons for the 2021-22 Differential Rates