Building Applications and Information

A building permit must be obtained before commencing building work unless the work is exempt. 

Application Forms

Building Permit - Certified (BA1)

Building Permit - Uncertified (BA2)

Demolition Permit (BA5)

Building Approval Certificate (BA13)

Occupancy Permit (BA9)

Extension of Building or Demolition Permit (BA22)

Building Application Plans Request Form

Building Fees and Charges

Additional forms from the Department of Mines, Industry Regulation and Safety Website

Department of Mines, Industry Regulation and Safety: Forms

Information Sheets

Find information for Building, Altering, Demolition and Removal

Building or Altering

Dwelling or Ancillary

Building or Altering a Fence

Patio or Carports

Pergola and Gazebos, and Erecting a Shade Sail

Retaining Wall or Deck

Shed or Garage, or Placing a Sea Container

Swimming Pool or Spa

Other Information Sheets

Demolition or Removal of by Other Means of Buildings or Structures

Exempt Building Works

Seeking Approval for Unauthorised Building and Development

Dividing Fences

The Dividing Fences Act 1961 combines with local government by-laws to regulate the erection and maintenance of dividing fences in Western Australia.  The Act provides a process for sharing costs between neighbours, the determination of boundaries and a mechanism for courts to deal with disputes over dividing fences.  It does not apply to retaining walls, fence height restrictions or encroachments.

A dividing fence is a ‘sufficient fence’ that separates the land of different owners, whether on the common boundary of adjoining lands or in a line other than the common boundary.  If you want to erect a dividing fence, a written notice must be provided to the neighbouring owner, which sets out:

  • the boundary to be fenced;
  • a proposal for fencing; and
  • the kind of fence proposed to be constructed.

More information can be found on the Department of Mines, Industry Regulation and Safety Website

Dividing Fence Overview