A building permit must be obtained before commencing building work unless the work is exempt. 

Application Forms

Building Permit - Certified (BA1)

Building Permit - Uncertified (BA2)

Demolition Permit (BA5)

Building Approval Certificate - Strata (BA15)

Building Approval Certificate (BA13)

Occupancy Permit - Strata (BA11)

Occupancy Permit (BA9)

Extension of Building or Demolition Permit (BA22)

Additional forms from the Department of Mines, Industry Regulation and Safety are available here

Information Sheets

Commercial Fences

Houses and Additions


Patios and Carports


Residential Fences

Dividing Fences

The Dividing Fences Act 1961 combines with local government by-laws to regulate the erection and maintenance of dividing fences in Western Australia.  The Act provides a process for sharing costs between neighbours, the determination of boundaries and a mechanism for courts to deal with disputes over dividing fences.  It does not apply to retaining walls, fence height restrictions or encroachments.

A dividing fence is a ‘sufficient fence’ that separates the land of different owners, whether on the common boundary of adjoining lands or in a line other than the common boundary.If you want to erect a dividing fence, a written notice must be provided to the neighbouring owner, which sets out:

  • the boundary to be fenced;
  • a proposal for fencing; and
  • the kind of fence proposed to be constructed.

More information can be found here.