Nominating for Council

Any eligible elector can stand for election as a Councillor.  Skilled and interested community members who want to work together for the benefit of the community as a whole are encouraged to nominate.

To check your eligibility, please visit Electoral Commission WA.


Nominations are to be lodged in person with the Town’s Returning Officer. Nominations open on 2 September 2021 and close at 4pm on 9 September 2021.

Candidates are encouraged to make an appointment with the Town’s Returning Officer well before nominations close to discuss nominations.

Returning Officer


Phone: 0460 290 882


Nomination Form

Information for Candidates

The Town of Bassendean, with other local councils, hosted an information session on Saturday 21 August at the City of Belmont, for prospective candidates. 

Presentation - Standing for Council - Local Government Election 2021 - Department of Local Government, Sport and Cultural Industries

Presentation - Ordinary Election 16 October 2021 - Western Australian Electoral Commission

Candidates are encouraged to review documents specific to the Town. This includes:

Campaigning, Conduct and Gifts

Information is available on the Department of Local Government, Sport and Cultural Industries website with information for candidates including, but not limited to:

Election Campaigning - Rights and Obligations of Candidates, Offences, Campaigning Techniques

Electoral Gifts and Crowdfunding - Both candidates and donors must disclose information about any election related gift with a value of $200 or more

Be a Vocal Local: Stand for Council - Standing as a council member (eligibility, skills and knowledge); Voting and participating in local government including key dates for 2021; Now you're a council member (induction, training and development)

Election Signage

An election sign is a sign encouraging a person to vote for a particular political candidate or group.

Election signage on the road reserve is governed by the Town’s Activities on Thoroughfares and Trading in Thoroughfares and Public Places Local Law 2010.

Election signage on private property is governed by the Planning and Development (Local Planning Schemes) Regulation 2015.

If you’re unsure about signage on the road reserve, please contact the Town of Bassendean on 9377 8000.