Noise refers to any loud noise that is unpleasant or unwanted.  Most of us will accept the occasional bit of noise from neighbours, however regular and ongoing disturbances can be annoying an lead to bad neighbourhood relations.

Find out which rules apply to different types of noise and which noises are exempt.  The state regulations governing noise in WA are the Environmental Protection (Noise) Regulations 1997.

Environmental Protection (Noise) Regulations 1997

If you have received notification from an event promoter or construction company, and are experiencing loud noise in relation to this, please use the contacts provided in the notification to report the noise pollution.

If you are experiencing loud noise from concerts or construction sites with no prior notification, or from residential premises, small to medium business premises or air conditioners, please read below to contact the Town’s Health Services.

Information on who to report all other noise pollution to, refer to the Department of Water and Environmental Regulation (DWER) website

DWER Noise Pollution


Loud music accounts for up to 40% of all noise enquiries received by the Town of Bassendean. As a guide, try to maintain music levels within the confines of your home/building and any dominant bass component to a minimum. If you’re playing a stereo system, check to see if you can hear the music outside on your property boundary. If you can, it’s probably too loud. If you use speakers outside in your garden, be mindful of this noise on your neighbours.

If you’re practicing an instrument, you can play for up to one hour per day between 7.00 am and 7.00 pm from Monday to Saturday and between 9.00 am and 7.00 pm on Sundays and Public Holidays.

Also, try these simple tips to prevent noise from carrying:

  1. Play the instrument in a suitable room - a garden shed is not considered a suitable room;
  2. Maintain amplified instruments at the lowest volume possible;
  3. Consider sound-off pads and cymbal silencers on drum kits;
  4. Let your neighbours know when you’re likely to be practicing.

If you would like to make a noise enquiry or complaint about music, please use the Online Web Form

Music Online Web Form

Party Noise

It’s reasonable for people to host the occasional party. However, if you’re entertaining outside, remember your neighbours and try these ideas:

  1. Forewarn your neighbours about the party and the likely finish time;
  2. Start your party earlier so it can finish earlier;
  3. Avoid using speakers outside the house and lower the volume control, especially with the bass;
  4. Move your guests inside after midnight and close all windows and doors to contain the noise;
  5. Provide a contact number or invite your neighbour to tell you if it gets too loud; and
  6. Be aware of other potential impacts, such as guests blocking neighbours’ driveways or litter.

If you would like to make a noise enquiry or complaint about party noise, please use the Online Web Form

Party Noise Online Web Form

Construction Sites and Power Tools

Construction work is defined by the regulations as the construction, erection, installation, alteration, repair, maintenance, cleaning, painting, renewal, removal, excavation, dismantling or demolition of, or addition to any building or structure.  Construction work that creates noise on a building site can be carried out between Monday and Saturday (excluding Public Holidays) from 7 am to 7 pm provided:

  1. The equipment is the quietest reasonably available; and
  2. Construction work adheres to the Australian Standard 2436 (AS 2436, Guide to noise and vibration control on construction, demolition and maintenance sites). To purchase a copy of AS 2436, visit, go to the 'Store' section, and search on 'AS 2436'.

Approval from the Town may be obtained in special circumstances to emit noise outside these times.  This is usually for cases where it is impracticable to undertake the construction work during normal hours e.g. railway track works, road works on a major road.  In these situations, a noise management plan must be lodged with the Town and it is usual for the Town to require that affected residents be notified of the works beforehand. 

For construction work conducted on a Sunday or Public Holiday, builders are required to have an approved noise management plan. This includes details on how the work will be done and complaints resolution.

Please note that construction work may be carried out at any time if it is not emitting any noise.  For example, a painter using a brush or roller would not emit any noise and therefore does not need to be restricted to the above times.  Please note that this regulation only relates to noise and does not restrict workers arriving on site prior to 7am.

If you would like to make a noise enquiry or complaint about construction sites, please use the Online Web Form

Contruction Sites Noise Online Web Form

The use of power tools is only allowed provided the equipment is in good working order and compatible with the work being undertaken.

If using a static unit like a brick saw or compressor, try to position it away from your neighbour’s living and sleeping areas.  You should also restrict usage to a maximum of two hours a day, between 7.00 am and 7.00 pm, Mondays to Saturdays, with a later start of 9.00 am on Sundays and Public Holidays.

If you would like to make a noise enquiry or complaint about power tools, please use the Online Web Form

Power Tool Noise Online Web Form

Exempt Noise

Certain noises are classified as “exempt”.  In other words, the Town has no authority to control such types of noises.  However, there may be other relevant authorities for some types of exempt noise such as aircraft noise or trains.

Exempt noises include propulsion and braking systems of motor vehicles, noise emissions from trains, aircrafts and safety warning devices fitted to motor vehicles and earth moving machinery.

If you’d like to find out more about the different restrictions and requirements applying to noise, you’ll find it all in the Environmental Protection (Noise) Regulations 1997.

Environmental Protection (Noise) Regulations 1997

If you would like to make a noise enquiry about exempt noises, please click please use the Online Web Form

Exempt Noise Online Web Form