Health Services

Environmental Health relates to the practice of managing the health risks of a community.  Health Services has several programs that assess and manage risks, as well as providing direction and education to the community. 

Some of the programs managed by Health Services include:

  • Risk assessment and approval of food premises including restaurants, take away shops, lunch bars, pubs, etc.
  • Risk assessment and approval of public events and buildings.
  • Risk assessment and approval of on-site effluent disposal systems such as septic tanks, ATUs and grey water systems.
  • Investigation of noise nuisances.
  • Investigation of communicable diseases.
  • Investigation of health nuisances including pests and odour.
  • Monitoring of public swimming pools and river sampling.
  • Risk assessment and monitoring of vectors of disease such as mosquitoes

An Environmental Health Officer is available to provide advice on public and environmental health matters.




Food Safety

Health Services Documents & Information Sheets


Information on Noise

Noise refers to any loud noise that is unpleasant or unwanted.  Most of us will accept the occasional bit of noise from neighbours, however regular and ongoing disturbances can be annoying an lead to bad neighbourhood relations.

Find out which rules apply to different types of noise and which noises are exempt.  The state regulations governing noise in WA are the Environmental Protection (Noise) Regulations 1997

If you have received notification from an event promoter or construction company, and are experiencing loud noise in relation to this, please use the contacts provided in the notification to report the noise pollution.

If you are experiencing loud noise from concerts or construction sites with no prior notification, or from residential premises, small to medium business premises or air conditioners, please read below to contact the Town’s Health Services.

For information on who to report all other noise pollution to, please follow this link to the Department of Water and Environmental Regulation’s website.


Loud music accounts for up to 40% of all noise enquiries received by the Town of Bassendean.  As a guide, try to maintain music levels within the confines of your home/building and any dominant bass component to a minimum. If you’re playing a stereo system, check to see if you can hear the music outside on your property boundary. If you can, it’s probably too loud. If you use speakers outside in your garden, be mindful of this noise on your neighbours.

If you’re practicing an instrument, you can play for up to one hour per day between 7.00 am and 7.00 pm from Monday to Saturday and between 9.00 am and 7.00 pm on Sundays and Public Holidays.

Also, try these simple tips to prevent noise from carrying:

  1. Play the instrument in a suitable room - a garden shed is not considered a suitable room;
  2. Maintain amplified instruments at the lowest volume possible;
  3. Consider sound-off pads and cymbal silencers on drum kits;
  4. Let your neighbours know when you’re likely to be practicing.

If you would like to make a noise enquiry or complaint about music, please click here.

Party Noise

It’s reasonable for people to host the occasional party. However, if you’re entertaining outside, remember your neighbours and try these ideas:

  1. Forewarn your neighbours about the party and the likely finish time;
  2. Start your party earlier so it can finish earlier;
  3. Avoid using speakers outside the house and lower the volume control, especially with the bass;
  4. Move your guests inside after midnight and close all windows and doors to contain the noise;
  5. Provide a contact number or invite your neighbour to tell you if it gets too loud; and
  6. Be aware of other potential impacts, such as guests blocking neighbours’ driveways or litter.

If you would like to make a noise enquiry or complaint about party noise, please click here.


Power Tools

Power tools can make quite a racket. Their use is only allowed provided the equipment is in good working order and compatible with the work being undertaken.

If using a static unit like a brick saw or compressor, try to position it away from your neighbour’s living and sleeping areas.  You should also restrict usage to a maximum of two hours a day, between 7.00 am and 7.00 pm, Mondays to Saturdays, with a later start of 9.00 am on Sundays and Public Holidays.

If you would like to make a noise enquiry or complaint about power tools, please click here.

Construction Sites

Construction work is defined by the regulations as the construction, erection, installation, alteration, repair, maintenance, cleaning, painting, renewal, removal, excavation, dismantling or demolition of, or addition to any building or structure.  Construction work that creates noise on a building site can be carried out between Monday and Saturday (excluding Public Holidays) from 7.00 am to 7.00 pm provided:

  1. The equipment is the quietest reasonably available; and
  2. Construction work adheres to the Australian Standard 2436 (AS 2436, Guide to noise and vibration control on construction, demolition and maintenance sites). To purchase a copy of AS 2436, visit (External link), go to the 'Store' section, and search on 'AS 2436'.

Approval from the Town may be obtained in special circumstances to emit noise outside these times.  This is usually for cases where it is impracticable to undertake the construction work during normal hours e.g. railway track works, road works on a major road.  In these situations, a noise management plan must be lodged with the Town and it is usual for the Town to require that affected residents be notified of the works beforehand. 

For construction work conducted on a Sunday or Public Holiday, builders are required to have an approved noise management plan. This includes details on how the work will be done and complaints resolution.

Please note that construction work may be carried out at any time if it is not emitting any noise.  For example, a painter using a brush or roller would not emit any noise and therefore does not need to be restricted to the above times.  Please note that this regulation only relates to noise and does not restrict workers arriving on site prior to 7am.

If you would like to make a noise enquiry or complaint about construction sites, please click here.

Exempt Noises

Certain noises are classified as “exempt”.  In other words, the Town has no authority to control such types of noises.  However, there may be other relevant authorities for some types of exempt noise such as aircraft noise or trains.

Exempt noises include propulsion and braking systems of motor vehicles, noise emissions from trains, aircrafts and safety warning devices fitted to motor vehicles and earth moving machinery.

If you’d like to find out more about the different restrictions and requirements applying to noise, you’ll find it all in the Environmental Protection (Noise) Regulations 1997

If you would like to make a noise enquiry about exempt noises, please click here.


What is Enviornmental Health?

Environmental health addresses all the physical, chemical, and biological factors external to a person, and all the related factors that can potentially affect health. It is targeted towards preventing disease and creating health-supportive environments. This definition excludes behaviour not related to environment, as well as behaviour related to the social and cultural environment, and genetics.

Air Quality

Air quality is something we often take for granted because, compared to other places in the world, our air is generally good.  That is why, when we experience excessive smoke or detect an odour, it’s so noticeable.  While we all have the potential to impact our neighbours from time to time, (e.g. smoke from a BBQ, odour from garden fertilizer), it is when excessive smoke or odours in the community occur that they can be a problem.  Health legislation is concerned with human health.  From time to time, Health Services receive complaints from residents regarding dust settling on their cars or having to re-wash their laundry, which is hanging outdoors.   Although frustrating, these are not health issues.

If you would like to make an equiry or complaint about Air Quality please click here.


Pollution can take many forms and can negatively affect the air, soil and water quality.  Examples of pollution include:

  • Spills contaminating soil or water;
  • Black / dark smoke;
  • Odours and fumes; and
  • Noise

The Department of Water and Environmental Regulation is the leading body managing environmental pollution in Western Australia.  The Town’s Health Services have restricted powers in relation to Noise, unauthorised discharges from small-medium enterprises and dark smoke from domestic chimneys.

If you would like to make an enquiry or complaint about Pollution please click here.


Asbestos is a fibrous mineral that was widely used in the manufacture of building materials and other products.  Asbestos cement products were commonly manufactured in WA from 1921 to 1987.  In Australia, the use of asbestos was phased out in the manufacture of building products during the 1980’s, and completely banned in 2003. 

The most common product used in residential properties was asbestos cement, which typically contained 10-15% asbestos.  Asbestos cement products pose little risk to health when they are in good condition and undisturbed.  However, homeowners must take precautions when removing the products, renovating or carrying out maintenance works.

Where were asbestos products used in homes?

Asbestos was added to building products to increase their strength durability, fire resistance and insulation properties.  It is commonly found in:

  • asbestos cement roofs and eaves
  • indoor and outdoor asbestos cement wall sheeting
  • external feature cladding materials
  • asbestos cement fencing
  • paper backing material on sheet linoleum
  • backing panels in meter boxes
  • textured paints – especially in wet areas
  • vinyl floor tiles
  • thermal insulation boards around fireplaces
  • gaskets and rope door seal in wood stoves
  • Carpet underlay

Who Can Remove Asbestos

The removal of more than 10 square metres of asbestos may only be carried out by persons whom have obtained an asbestos removal license.  Please refer to the Worksafe website for a list of restricted and unrestricted license holders.  

The removal of less than 10 square meters of asbestos is not required to be carried out by a person holding an asbestos removal license.  However, compliance with legislation is still required.  The following document Asbestos – A Guide for Householders the General Public, produced by the Environmental Health Standing Committee (enHealth), provides useful information to enable householders to sensibly and safely manage the risks arising from any occasional encounter with asbestos materials in and around their homes.

Asbestos Regulators

There are a number of agencies and regulations that govern various aspects of Asbestos.  The following information can assist you in directing your query to the appropriate agency.

Department of Water and Environmental Regulation

Regulates and provides advice on the safe transport and disposal of asbestos materials.
Phone: 6467 5359.  Visit the Department of Water and Environmental Regulation

Department of Health – Environmental Health Hazards Unit

The Department of Health (DoH) regulates and provides advice on the safe handling of asbestos materials in both the public and residential sectors.  Guidance is also provided on the management of asbestos contaminated soil.   Phone: 9388 4999

Department of Mines, Industry Regulation and Safety

Regulates safe asbestos practices in the resources industry.   Phone: 9358 8079.  Visit the Department of Mines, Industry Regulation and Safety website.

Local Government

The Town of Bassendean Health Services enforce the Department of Health asbestos regulatory requirements and provide advice on local asbestos issues.

Department of Commerce – WorkSafe


  • regulates and audits all aspects of asbestos in workplaces;
  • licenses asbestos removalists;
  • conduct periodic audits of licensed persons.

Phone: 1300 307 877   Email:    Visit the WorkSafe website

Department of Education

The Department of Education (DoE) manages asbestos issues in school buildings and other facilities under the control of the Department. 

Phone: 9264 4111

Housing Authority

Manages asbestos issues associated with its properties.

Visit their Reporting Maintanence webpage

Phone: 1300 137 677 (maintenance issues)

Department of Finance – Building Management and Works

Building Management and Works leads the planning and delivery of new government buildings, such as schools, hospitals, prisons, courts and police stations.   Phone: 6551 1000.  

 Visit Building Management and Works



Asbestos Diseases Society of Australia

Phone: 1800 646 690 (National Toll Free) or 9344 4077

Australian Asbestos Network

The Cancer Council helpline provides information and support for people affected by cancer, health professionals and the community.

Phone: 13 11 20 for the cost of a local call.

Mesothelioma Guide are an advocacy organisation dedicated to helping patients diagnosed with asbestos illnesses, and provide a range of information, including this guide.

If you would like to make an enquiry or complaint about Asbestos please click here.

Environmental Water Sampling

In partnership with the Department of Health, the Town’s Health Services collect water samples from Sandy Beach Reserve and Point Reserve to test for bacteria and amoeba levels.  These water samples are collected each year on a weekly basis, between November and April.      There are a number of water bodies monitored within WA.  For an extensive list, refer to the Department of Health website.

The purpose of monitoring the water quality is to achieve the following:

  • make sure the water is safe to swim in and recreate;
  • classify water bodies to help you decide where you want to swim;
  • issue warnings during pollution events;
  • identify bacterial pollution sources;
  • look for long-term bacterial trends.

Bacteria in water can come from a number of sources including domestic animals, human effluent and wildlife.  Swimming and / or swallowing river water contaminated with high levels of bacteria, may cause illnesses such as gastroenteritis, skin irritations as well as respiratory, ear and eye infections. 

What are we looking for?


Water samples are analysed for Enterococci, which are commonly found in the stomach of warm-blooded animals and humans.   Although enterococci are not harmful, high levels can indicate the possible presence of harmful microorganisms including viruses and protozoa.

Water samples are also tested for the bacteria Escherichia Coli (E. Coli), which are a group of bacteria also found in the stomach of warm-blooded animals and humans.  These bacteria are a very good indicator of faecal contamination. 


Some water bodies are tested for amoebae – such as Naeglaria fowleri, which is responsible for the extremely rare but fatal disease amoebic meningoencephalitis (amoebic meningitis).

The bacterial water quality at each site is assessed and a “Grade” is then assigned to that site.  There are five possible grades that could be assigned to the site: very good, good, fair, poor or very poor.  These grades have been further categorised into three colours, green, amber or red.  Green represents the safer areas to swim, whilst red represents the areas of higher risk.

If you would like to report pollution to water please go to the Department of Water and Environmental Regulation information website here or their online reporting form here.

If you would like to make an enquiry about Environmental Water Sampling please click here.




Pests come in all shapes and sizes and can be real…well, pests!  Find out about some of your neighbourhood pests below, specifically those which may spread diseases like mosquitoes and rats.

The Department of Primary Industries and Regional Development (DPIRD) is the best source of information on other pests, including spiders, insects and animals.

The DPIRD has also put out a great community resource website and app, MyPestGuide.  By using the MyPestGuide Reporter app you will be supporting your local community, defending WA's Ag industry, and protecting the natural environment from unusual or suspected exotic pests.  Check out the MyPestGuide community website, where you can search on and see what other people are reporting, and also read how DPIRD's expert staff have responded on each post.


Common containers around our homes which collect rainwater or water from reticulation systems, can become suitable habitats for mosquito breeding.  The mosquito species that breeds in these containers is a known transmitter of the Ross River Virus disease.

There are hundreds of other species of mosquitos which breed in other water bodies, such as road drains, septic tanks, disused swimming pools, saltmarshes…….etc…. Some of these species also can transmit Ross River Virus. 

It is important for all of us to do what we can to minimise mosquito breeding in order to reduce their impact on our health and lifestyle.


Eliminate Breeding

Mosquitoes breed in standing water. For example, pot plant trays, bird baths, water tanks, domestic ponds and roof gutters.  To prevent them breeding in your backyard try the following:

  • Get rid of containers which hold water;
  • Keep mosquito-eating fish, like gold fish and pygmy perch, in garden ponds and eliminate vegetation around the edges of the pond;
  • Keep swimming pools well chlorinated, filtered and free of dead leaves;
  • Fill or drain depressions in the ground that hold water;
  • Ensure the vent pipes on your septic tank systems are fitted with mosquito proof cowls. Seal all gaps in the lid and ensure leach drains are completely covered;
  • Fit rainwater tanks with insect-proof mesh, including inlet, overflow and inspection ports. Also ensure your guttering is water-free;
  • Empty pot plant drip trays once a week or fill them with sand; and
  • Empty and clean animal and pet drinking water weekly.



Two of the most common mosquito-borne viruses in WA are Ross River Virus (RRV) and Barmah Forest Virus (BFV).  Both viruses have similar symptoms and life cycles.

Symptoms can vary between people and include painful and/or swollen joints, sore muscles, aching tendons, skin rashes, fever, tiredness, headaches and swollen lymph nodes. While there’s no treatment for either RRV or BFV, your doctor can provide some relief.  You can find out more about these and other mosquito-borne diseases on this Department of Health website.

Our Control Program

The Town of Bassendean is vigilant in the management of mosquito breeding and has a monitoring and control program in place. This program includes:

  • Routine monitoring of known salt marsh mosquito breeding sites;
  • Regular trapping of adult mosquitoes to gauge numbers;
  • Identification of mosquito species;
  • Treatment of mosquito breeding on public land;
  • Enforcement of local laws in relation to breeding on private property;
  • Investigation of complaints about excessive breeding;
  • Follow up questionnaires with residents who contract a mosquito-borne disease; and
  • Health promotion activities.

The Town of Bassendean is also a member of the East Swan River CLAG with the Cities of Bayswater, Belmont and Swan and the Town of Victoria Park.  For more information on our mosquito  monitoring and control Program, have a look at our pamphlet

‘Fight the Bite’ mozzie campaign

Launched in November 2016, the Fight the Bite campaign (Healthy WA) is aimed at reducing mosquito-borne diseases that afflict individuals, communities and the healthcare system.

The three central messages are to:

  • cover up
  • repel (use repellent)
  • clean up areas around the home where mosquitoes can breed.

If you would like to make an enquiry or complaint about Mosquitoes please click here.

Rats and Mice

Rats and mice are almost always present throughout cities and suburban areas due to the opportunities for food and shelter afforded by human activity.  In established suburbs, food and water is readily available from such things as fruit trees and pet food.  

We mainly see 2 types of rats.  The Roof Rat and the Norway Rat.  Here’s an infosheet to assist you with identifying which rat has taken up residency at your property. 

  • Norway rats (also known as sewer rats) eat a wide variety of foods but mostly prefer cereal grains, meats, fish, nuts and some fruits or pet food. They will travel an area of about 30-50 metres from their burrows or nests in search of food or water.
  • Roof rats prefer fruits, nuts, berries, avocados, slugs and snails. They often eat fruit that is still on the tree.  When feeding on an orange they make a small hole in the rind through which they completely eat the inside of the orange, leaving only the hollowed out rind hanging on the tree.

They will travel up to 100 metres for food, and are food hoarders, stashing supplies of food such as seeds and nuts.


You can control rodent populations by limiting the food and shelter available, and by following these steps:

  • Stacking wood about 40 cm off the ground and away from sides of sheds and fences;
  • Removing fruit and nuts from vines and trees at the end of the season, picking up rotten fruit from the ground and removing fruit from palm trees when in bloom;
  • Keeping the backyard as clean and free of debris as possible;
  • Maintaining rubbish and compost bins in good repair, with secure lids and free from holes;
  • Keeping pet dishes clean and storing bulk pet food in closed containers; and
  • Regularly removing garden waste from sheds and the yard.


Baiting and trapping are the most common ways of eliminating your unwanted guests. 


Baiting involves laying poison baits along rodent paths and in roof and wall cavities that are easily accessible. It is very important to ensure the bait isn’t accessible to children or pets. Some rodent baits have the potential to cause secondary poisoning.  Secondary poisoning can occur when a non-target animals i.e. pets, birds etc, eat a rat or mouse that has ingested the bait.  Any carcasses must be wrapped and disposed of immediately in order to prevent secondary poisoning from occurring. See Generation First Strike - Secondary Poisoning.


There are two types of rodent traps – the old-fashioned snap back trap and the more recent, capture-box style of trap. Different types of bait can be used including peanut butter, bacon, chocolate and nuts. Placement of the trap should be in the rodent’s pathway, but never above food or food preparation surfaces, to avoid contamination by rat urine, droppings or blood.

If you would like to make an enquiry or complaint about Rats and Mice please click here.


Midges are small, gnat-like insects often found near wetlands.  Non-biting midges don’t carry disease, but can cause a nuisance in residential areas, due to their attraction to lights. Midges can swarm in large numbers. However, these mating swarms are usually short-lived and tend to disperse within a few days.   As midges are not disease carriers, Health Services do not treat for them.

If you would like to make an enquiry about Midges please click here.


There are different types of flies found in Western Australia, and many of them never bother us – in fact, many species of flies are useful for pollination and disposal of manure.  We’re all painfully aware, however, that the flies that do pester us range in nuisance value from annoying to dangerous to our health and damaging to important industries.


House flies, bush flies, blow flies March flies/horse flies

Besides being a nuisance, flies can also carry bacteria.  You can prevent flies breeding in and around your home by taking some basic steps:

  • Make sure your rubbish an recycling bins are clean and closed at all times;
  • Wrap all food scraps tightly and place them in the bin immediately;
  • Keep poultry and pet areas clean at all times.
  • Don't leave lawn clippings in heaps, rake them out thinly;
  • Dig any manures and fertilisers well into the soil.

The Department of Health has further information on the life cycle of flies, diseases caused by flies, and control of flies here.


Fruit fly

The fruit fly, or medfly, is a serious horticultural pest in Western Australia, causing untold damage to crops and reducing income for our growers and farmers.

Fruit fly is a declared pest under the Biosecurity and Agriculture Management Act 2007, and it is mandatory to control in some areas of Western Australia, including Armadale, Kalamunda, Mundaring, Serpentine-Jarrahdale and Swan.

Here in Bassendean our proximity to the Swan Valley means we have a special responsibility to prevent the spread of fruit fly to family-run businesses in the area.

It is essential for backyard growers to dispose of fly-infested or unwanted fruit, including fruit left on the tree.

The Department of Primary Industries and Regional Development’s Agriculture and Food Team have put together a fantastic range of information on identifying and controlling fruit fly.

Preventing the spread of fruit fly to our producers in the Swan Valley means we’ll be able to jump in the car and drive ten minutes to buy fresh, cheap fruit from the grower for years to come!

If you would like to make an enquiry about Flies please click here.

Food Safety

Food Safety

The Town of Bassendean Health Services works closely with local businesses and community groups who prepare food for sale, to ensure the production of safe food and compliance with WA’s food legislation.   Health Services conduct:

  • Inspections of food businesses;
  • Inspections of food vans and stalls at events and markets;
  • Chemical food sampling including assessment of nutritional information panels;
  • Microbiological (bacterial) food sampling of ready to eat foods;
  • Education including the “Food Matters in Bassendean” Newsletter and the I’m ALERT food handler training program
  • Investigation of food complaints, recalls and food poisoning notifications;
  • Assessment of applications for temporary food businesses such as vans and market stalls.

It is estimated that there are approximately 4.1 million cases of food borne illness in Australia each year.  Of these cases, approximately 31,920 result in hospitalisation, 86 in deaths and 1 million visits to doctors each year.  The Food Safety Information Council aims to address this issue by providing simple, easy to follow information on the handling, storage and preparation of food.

Food Poisoning

Food poisoning is any illness caused by eating foods contaminated with pathogenic bacteria, parasites, viruses or toxins.

Foods can become contaminated in a number of ways:

  1. People – through poor personal hygiene e.g. handwashing.
  2. Pets and pests – avoid having pets near food and food preparation surfaces, and keep doors and windows screened to prevent insects entering the premises.
  3. Cross contamination – when raw meats and ready to eat foods come into contact with each other e.g. chopping vegetables on a chopping board, which was just used to dice chicken.
  4. Undercooked foods – this could result from either insufficient cooking time, or cooking a frozen or partially frozen product and not achieving the correct internal temperature.
  5. Soil and dirt – soil / dirt / manures may remain on vegetables and herbs and on the shell of an egg.


What are the Symptoms?

Symptoms of food poisoning will vary, depending on the type of food poisoning, as well as the age of the patient.  In general, food poisoning symptoms may appear 12 to 72 hours (incubation perios) after eating the contaminated food.  People with food poisoning may experience some or all of the following:

  • Nausea (feeling sick)
  • Diarrhoea
  • Vomiting
  • Stomach cramps /pains
  • Sweating / fever or chills
  • Headaches
  • Lethargy (extreme tiredness


It is important to note that food poisoning is not the same as Viral Gastroenteritis – even though they have similar symptoms.  Gastro infection can occur by coming in contact with a person who has gastro (person to person) or by coming in contact with a surface contaminated by the gastro e.g. Norovirus.


How do you know if you have food poisoning?

Diagnosis must be made by a medical professional.  See your doctor or go to hospital if you suspect you have food poisoning.  It is particularly important for the elderly or young children to have immediate medical attention.


How can I prevent infection?

Below are a number of food safety tips that will assist in reducing the risk of food poisoning. 

Handling Food

Bacteria cannot move on their own – they are spread from one place to another by poor food handling practices or by contact with pets, flies or other pests.  To stop the spread of bacteria:

  • Always wash your hands thoroughly with soap and hot water
    • before handling food, especially cooked food
    • after going to the toilet
    • between handling raw and cooked foods
  • Avoid using bare hands to touch food. Use tongs, forks and spoons whenever possible.
  • Always clean and sanitise work surfaces and utensils. Sanitisers kill bacteria, while detergents only remove dirt and grease.
  • Wash fruits and vegetables, especially if eaten raw.
  • Use safe, treated water when preparing food and cleaning.
  • Use separate cutting boards and knives for each type of food eg. raw meat, fish, vegetables and cooked foods.
  • Use paper towels whenever possible. Dishcloths and towels can carry bacteria.
  • Protect food preparation areas and food from pests, insects and pets.


Buying food / grocery shopping

  • avoid buying damaged cans and torn packets.
  • Always check that the product is within the used-by-date.
  • Do not keep perishable foods (meat, dairy etc) out of refrigeration for longer than 2 hours. Buy these products last and put them in your fridge / freezer as soon as possible.
  • Avoid buying perishable foods that have been stored out of refrigeration or above the ‘load level’ at the store. The load level is the level to which foods may be stored in freezers and remain at the correct temperature, and is usually about 5 cm below the rim of the cabinet.


Storing Food

  • Keep food covered to protect it from dust, insects, sneezes, etc.
  • Keep raw food eg. chicken, separate from cooked food. Always wrap and store cooked foods above raw foods in the fridge.
  • Keep perishable foods hot (above 60 °C) or cold (below 5 °C). Check the temperature of your fridge regularly – in hot weather it may need adjusting to keep food cold.
  • Arrange food in your fridge so cold air can easily circulate around it. Never overstock your fridge.


Time and Temperature Control

  • Bacteria grow easily on high-risk foods such as meat, chicken, seafood and dairy products. Bacteria grow best at temperatures between 5 °C and 60 °C. This temperature range is known as the ‘temperature danger zone’.  These high risk foods should never be stored in the ‘temperature danger zone’.
  • Always defrost frozen food in the fridge or in a microwave oven set on ‘defrost’. Defrosting food on the bench top can be unsafe, and increase bacteria growth in foods as they defrost.
  • Make sure food is cooked thoroughly. Joints of meat and poultry should reach at least 75 °C in their centre – this will kill most harmful bacteria. Make sure meat and poultry juices are clear, not pink.
  • Cook and serve food immediately – never leave high-risk food out at room temperature.
  • Refrigerate promptly all cooked and perishable food at or below 5° C. Portion food before cooling, for example slice meats and cut large poultry into smaller portions. Place liquid foods such as casseroles in shallow containers (no more than 5cm deep) to allow for rapid cooling and place in the fridge as soon as it stops steaming.
  • If reheating food make sure it is reheated until steaming hot.
  • Do not store food too long, even in the fridge. Keep for a maximum of 3 days.


Types of Food Poisoning

Common types of food poisoning include Campylobacter, Salmonella, Listeria, Botulism, Giardia and Norovirus.  You can find out more about each virus by clicking here.

I’m ALERT - Free Food Safety Training for Businesses

When preparing food for sale to the public you must practice good food hygiene and ensure compliance with all relevant legislation.  The Town of Bassendean provides free online food safety training for food handlers.  I’m ALERT is an easy to use online interactive program which helps food handlers develop the necessary skills and knowledge to ensure food is handled in a safe and hygienic manner. 

 I’m ALERT also includes an entertaining presentation and interactive quizzes.  Once the quizzes and the

training are completed, an Acknowledgment Form / Certificate can be printed and retained for your staff records.   You can access I’m ALERT here.

Information for Food Businesses

Food businesses must comply with the requirements of the Food Act 2008, the Food Regulations 2009, and the Australia New Zealand Food Standards Code.  Chapter 3 of the Australia New Zealand Food Standards Code (also referred to as the Food Safety Standards) outlines the structural requirements your premises must meet, as well as the essential food handling and staff hygiene practices that must be followed to ensure the production of safe food.

The following information sheets can assist you with ensuring that your business is meeting the requirements of the above laws:

Taking over an existing food business

If you are taking over an existing food business it is recommended that you request a settlement enquiry through a settlement agent.  This is so you (via the Settlement Agent) are provided with a written report regarding any outstanding works or orders for the premises.  A fee is associated with the enquiry.  If you do not choose to go through a Settlement Agent and obtain any information pertinent to the food business you will, as the new owner, inherit any outstanding works / orders in relation to the food business.

A Food Business Notification/Registration Form must also be completed before taking over any business.  

All food businesses must notify the Town of Bassendean in the prescribed form of their intention to conduct a food business (fee applies).  It is an offence under the Food Act 2008 to not notify the Town of your intention to conduct a food business.

If you are taking over a food business that has been closed for a period of time, upgrading may be required to ensure that the food business complies with current legislation, or in order to be suitable for the type of food you are intend to handle.  You must contact the Town’s Health Services prior to opening to arrange a meeting with an Environmental Health Officer at the business.  This is also a good opportunity to discuss any changes that you intend to make to the premises prior to opening. 

You must not open the food business until you have submitted Food Business Notification/Registration Form, paid all relevant registration fees, and received a Certificate of Registration from the Town of Bassendean. 

Setting up a New Food Business

If you are setting up a new food business in the Town of Bassendean it is your responsibility to obtain all relevant approvals from the Town: Planning approval for the activity on the relevant property, if this has not been approved already; Building approval if constructing or fitting out a building; and then Health approval to ensure the food business meets the requirements of the Food Act 2008.

You should seek or confirm Planning approval first, to confirm the property you wish to use has, or can receive, Planning approval for the proposed activity.  A Building Licence application and Health application can be submitted subsequently.

You will be required to submit 2 copies of your premises structural fit out to the Town's Environmental Health Officer (EHO) together with the Application and Guidelines For The Establishment Or Alteration Of A Food Business once you submit for your health approval.

Once you've lodged your application, it will be assessed by Health Services, and an Approval document will be sent to you.   You must not start constructing your food premises until approvals have been granted by all departments.


Before you can start operating your food business or make any significant changes to what you sell or handle in your food business, you are required to notify or register with the Town.  Please complete a Food Business Notification/Registration Form and submit it to Health Services.

Temporary Food Businesses

Temporary food businesses such as stalls and vans must obtain a Temporary Food Business Permit before trading within the Town of Bassendean. To apply, please complete the Application for a Temporary Food Business Permit.  An application fee will apply, unless the organisation is a charity or community group. Completed applications must be received by the Health Services at least 21 days prior to the proposed day of trading. Please ensure that all required information, forms and payment details accompany your application in order to avoid any delays with processing your application.

For Charity or Community Groups, please refer to the Fundraising and charitable activities  section below.

Residential Food Preparation (home based food business)

The approval of a home based food business is a two part process.

Planning approval – Information about the requirements for home occupation /home business approvals, is available by contacting Planning Services on 9377 8000.

Health approval - The Town will only grant approvals to food businesses that are involved in ‘low risk’ activities.  Below is a guide of low risk food activities listed by the Department of Health.

Low risk food activities includes the production of:

·         Jams, marmalades;

·         Flour based products such as biscuits, shortbread, scones, buns, muffins and cakes which do not contain potentially hazardous

          foods such as cream and custards;

·         Nougats, fudge, meringues, Turkish delights;

·         Food additives such  as cake decorating, repacking of bulk packaged low risk confectionery products;

·         Pickled onions;

·         Herb vinegars with a pH of less than 4.5;

·         Chutneys, relishes and sauces that are heat treated by boiling or cooking;

·         Dry curry powder / spice mixes if ingredients are purchased from an approved food business.

Fundraising and charitable activities

Section 6 of the Food Act 2008 allows for certain food preparation activities of a charitable or community nature to be exempt from all or any provisions of the Act.  With this section in the act, food regulations prescribe an exemption from registration to food businesses conducted as fundraising events so long as:

  • The food business is conducted to raise money solely for purposes that are of a charitable or community nature
  • Any food handled in the course of conducting the food business is not potential hazardous foods
  • Any food handled in the course of conducting the food business, after being cooked, is provided by the food business for immediate consumption.

This means that premises used for the preparation of non-potentially hazardous food by volunteers will not need to be registered.  The people who intend to carry out a charitable or fundraising event will still be required to notify the Town of Bassendean of their food preparation activities.

Food Safety Programs

Food businesses involved in food service where potentially hazardous food is served to vulnerable populations are required to have a Food Safety Program.  This Program must meet the requirements of Chapter 3 of the Food Standards Code.

A Food Safety Program is a written document indicating how a food business will control the food safety hazards associated with the food handling activities of the business.  In general, the food business must:

  1. Carefully examine all its food handling operations to identify any potential hazards
  2. If one or more hazards are identified, develop a food safety program to control the hazard or hazards
  3. Have the food safety program as a written document, retained on the premises
  4. Comply with the Program
  5. Conduct a review of the Program at least annually to make sure it’s adequate


The content of a Food Safety Program must have the following documented:

  • The food handling operations of the business (from delivery to cooking to serving)
  • Potential food safety hazards (e.g. biological, chemical, or physical agents)
  • Control measures (e.g. refrigeration, pest control,)
  • Corrective actions
  • The review of the program
  • Record keeping.

A food business which is required to have a Food Safety Program must ensure that the program is audited by an approved Food Safety Auditor at the auditing frequency determined by the Town’s Health Services.

Name And Shame Website – Publication Of Names Of Offenders  

The Department of Health (WA) maintains a web based publication that lists food businesses and individuals that have been convicted of an offence under the food Act 2008 and its subsidiary legislation relating to the handling of food.  The purpose of maintaining the list is to provide consumers with information to enable them to make informed decisions about where they buy food.  The Town of Bassendean is compelled by the Food Act to forward details on any prosecutions to the Department of Health, who will then publish on their website.