This prominent two storey brick, masonry and iron structure was built for William Padbury (a nephew of Walter Padbury) in 1918.
It is situated at 1 Old Perth Road Bassendean, opposite the present Bassendean railway station.
William Padbury was born on 31st August 1867 in Charlesbury, Oxfordshire, England.
After working in England from an early age, for about twelve years, he came to Western Australia and took up the lease of Walter Padbury's Colonial stores in Guildford.
The building has housed many retail enterprises to the present day and is considered a notable example of cultural heritage.
Late in 1911 the members of the Roads Board decided to build new premises rather than continue meeting in private homes.
The site of the hall was originally intended for a mechanic's institute but the Roads Board persuaded the owners of the land to deed it to the town instead. Roads Board member, R. W. Anderson, was given the contract and the building was officially opened by Premier John Scaddan in May 1912.
In 1922 West Guildford was officially renamed Bassendean after Colonial Secretary Peter Broun's 1830s homestead which was demolished in 1946. The hall became the centre of West Guildford/Bassendean community life until it was torn down to make way for the new Bassendean Roads Board building in 1936.
That building was in turn levelled and the site incorporated into the current Bassendean Town Council offices, library and civic centre complex which were opened on 1 February 1971.
Swan Districts Football Club was established in 1934 under the guidance of the club's foundation president, R. A. McDonald who was at that time Chairman of the Bassendean Roads Board.
Many distinguished sportsmen played for Swan Districts over the years, but despite making it to the finals on several occasions, Swans only managed to gain the premiership for the first time in 1961. The team then went on to make a premiership hat-trick by also winning in 1962 and 1963.
This is the gracious home built for Cyril Jackson who came to Western Australia in 1897 as the State’s first Director General of Education with a mission to reform the education system.
He was influential in the growth of state schools, advocated compulsory education for all children, introduced a standard curriculum and ensured qualified teachers were employed in all state schools.
He was also the first Chairman of the West Guildford Roads Board, the inaugural meeting of which was held in the billiard room of Jackson’s house on 12 July 1901. Official gazettal of the new municipality followed a week later on 19 July 1901.
At the time of its formation the small township of West Guildford contained only 34 houses and 180 residents.
In 1979 Bassendean formed a sesquicentenary committee and hosted a variety of functions:
The First World War (1914 - 1918) profoundly affected the small township of West Guildford. Many young men went away to the war and several were killed.
One of the first was Ben Bailey who had been a foundation member of the West Guildford Volunteer Fire Brigade. Ben was killed at Gallipoli in 1915. His name along with others who died in the first and second World Wars is commemorated on the memorial which was erected and dedicated in 1923.
The memorial itself was shifted to its present position to make way for the building of the Bassendean Memorial Library.
One of the first and most influential industries in West Guildford/ Bassendean was the factory opened 30 April 1910 to process inexpensive chemical fertiliser for the expanding farming regions. The factory attracted workers and their families to Bassendean and provided a major source of employment in the town.
The photograph shows one of the processes in superphosphate recovery. Records show that surrounding residents often complained about the ‘rotten egg’ sulphur odours produced during the manufacture of the fertiliser. CSBP closed its doors in the late 1970s and the factory buildings were levelled.
The site is now incorporated into Bassendean’s Tonkin Business Park.