Latest Bassendean Briefings
View the latest Bassendean Briefings as an e-book (Just hover your mouse over a page corner and click to turn the page). Or, if you prefer a pdf, click here. Or, read the news right here on this website.
LOCAL GOVERNMENT REFORM – LOCAL GOVERNMENT ADVISORY BOARD CALLS FOR PUBLIC SUBMISSIONS
Have your say on the proposals that are being considered for the future of Bassendean
The Local Government Advisory Board has received three submissions for local government reform which affect the Town of Bassendean. In summary these are:
- A joint submission from the Town and the City of Swan for an amalgamation of the City of Swan, the Town of Bassendean and the Shire of Mundaring, with the border of the new combined local government with the current City of Bayswater being amended to being the Tonkin Highway.
- The City of Bayswater has proposed a boundary amendment to incorporate the entire Town of Bassendean. The proposal includes incorporating areas of the City of Stirling including the localities of Inglewood and Mount Lawley and an area of Dianella and Menora.The proposal also includes a boundary amendment to incorporate an area of the City of Swan in the locality of Noranda. The proposal includes a boundary amendment to incorporate areas of the City of Vincent in the localities of East Perth and Mount Lawley.
- The Minister for Local Government has proposed a boundary amendment to incorporate the entire Town Bassendean into the City of Bayswater. The proposal includes a boundary amendment to incorporate into the City of Bayswater an area of Noranda that is currently located in the City of Swan. The proposal includes a boundary amendment to incorporate into the City of Bayswater the area of Mount Lawley and an area of East Perth currently located in the City of Vincent. The proposal includes a boundary amendment to incorporate into the City of Bayswater parts of the areas of Dianella and Inglewood currently located in the City of Stirling.
What does this mean?
The Local Government Advisory Board is required to consider all three proposals and recommend one to the Minister. It should be understood that the City of Bayswater’s submission and the submission by the Minister are boundary adjustments – not amalgamations – and in the event that either of these proposals are successful, the Town of Bassendean would be abolished and would be subsumed by the City of Bayswater which would continue on. The City of Bayswater councillors would stay in place until the October 2015 elections, the Town’s councillors will be dismissed in July 2015 and would not be able to represent the Town leading up to the election.
The Town’s proposal is for a three way amalgamation with Swan and Mundaring which would provide for an equal partnership in establishing the new local government which would be a totally new entity not a continuation of an existing council to the detriment of the other parties.
What can I do? How do I get a say?
The Local Government Advisory Board is calling for submissions on the proposals that it has to consider, and the closing date for those submissions is: 4.00PM on Thursday 13th March 2014.
The specific details of all metropolitan local government submissions (including maps) and an information paper are available on the Board’s web page at: www.dlgc.wa.gov.au/Metroinquiries
Written and e-mail submissions must be made to the Local Government Advisory Board at:
GPO Box R1250, Perth WA 6844
Fax: (08) 6552 1555
The Board will also accept telephone submissions on 6551 8700.
Boccia in Bassendean
Join this fun sport and make new friends. FREE introductory sessions available starting 24 February 2014. To find out more click here.
FEAST Community Banquet
Family and friends are invited to join the Town of Bassendean for their inaugural FEAST event in celebration of Harmony Week. Mary Crescent Reserve 5.00 - 9.00pm, Saturday 15 March, 2014.
Click here for all of the Event Program details.
Be Prepared & Don't Panic - Film Night and Discussion
'Transition Town Guildford' is holding a film night and discussion on Tuesday 11 March to assist community preparedness for heatwaves, bushfires and floods. Details on our events page here.
Adoption – Town of Bassendean Fencing Local Law 2013
The Town of Bassendean has adopted a new Local Law relating to fencing under Section 3.12 of the Local Government Act 1995, which comes into operation on the 19th February 2014 and repeals the Town’s current Local Law.
Click here to read more
Cat Act 2011
From 1 November 2013, the implementation of the Cat Act 2011 takes effect. For further information please click on one of the following links:
- Town of Bassendean Responsible Cat Ownership Local Law here.
- Town of Bassendean Dog and Cat Registration Information Sheet here.
- Cat Registration Form here.
Local Events and Entertainment
There are lots of great events happening in our local area! Click HERE to find out more...
Support Local Businesses
Buy local and save petrol! Click HERE for the Bassendean Business Directory. If you run a local business that hasn't yet registered, click on the link above and then click on 'Register /Subscribe' to take advantage of this FREE service.
Bassendean Economic Development
Click HERE to View the Town's
Economic Development Agenda and Plan
The Story of a Town with strong Foundations for the future
To view a presentation of different aspects of Bassendean’s past history, but more importantly, where the Town is heading into the future click the link below. The presentation showcases some of Council’s programs, local community and service groups, and some of the world-class businesses in the Bassendean industrial area.
Visitors to this page since 9 August 2009.