Council wants your feedback
on its plans to redevelop its Civic Precinct
The Town of Bassendean, with the aid of the Bollig Design Group, has developed some preliminary plans for the partial redevelopment of the Civic Precinct located at numbers 48 and 50 Old Perth Road, Bassendean, and the Town would welcome feedback from the community into the design of the refurbished Civic Precinct.
Key elements of the proposal include:
- The building of a new community hall to replace the current community hall. The new hall will be around 300m2 in area and will better cater for existing activities than the current hall, and provide sufficient space for large civic events and community celebrations. The concept plans show the new community hall being linked by a covered connection to the existing Senior Citizens’ Centre.
- The relocation of the war memorial to the BIC Reserve to provide a higher, and more respectful profile for the memorial, and to better cater for the increasing numbers of Bassendean residents who attend the Anzac Day Commemorations. It is difficult to cater for the large crowds that attend services in its present location.
- Additions to the existing administration building. The plans show an extension at the front of the existing building to allow universal access and to provide a main street presence. The building will also have an internal link to the existing library. The existing community hall at the lower ground level is shown as a new council chamber and committee room. The current council chamber is too small to accommodate community members during Council meetings and other public meetings.
- The potential inclusion of a commercial leased area as part of the redevelopment, possibly a café with an alfresco area. The lease fees for the commercial lease will be used to partly fund the redevelopment.
Why is Council considering the redevelopment?
The buildings are getting old and need replacement or renovation. Parts of the original building are 40 years old. The community hall is tired and does not meet the expectations of the numerous community groups that use the facilities. In addition, the hall is not large enough to accommodate major functions and celebrations. The opportunity also exists to provide Council’s administration in one building rather than two.
Importantly, Council is committed to showing confidence in the Town Centre by carrying out this revitalisation project.
How much will the building cost?
The building has been costed at approximately $8 million, excluding internal fit-out and car parking.
How will the building be funded?
This has not been settled as yet, although it is likely that the building will be funded through a combination of the proceeds of the sale of properties such as the former Masonic Hall site, 85–87 Old Perth Road, and the current Customer Services Centre at 35 Old Perth Road, through grant funding for the new community hall, from the lease fees of any commercial component, and low interest loans for the remainder.
What happens next?
If the concept plans are supported by the community and Council, then further plans will need to be developed, including how car parking is to be managed. One option that Council can examine is the possibility of providing increased parking on the BIC Reserve which can be used for activities on the reserve and to provide parking for the Civic Precinct. A greater use of street parking will also be examined.
How can I get more information?
Displays of the concept plans will be mounted at the Bassendean Memorial Library, the Town’s Customer Service Centre, and at the Bassendean Village Shopping Centre from 4–15 November 2010. You can also attend a community forum to be held in the Community Hall at 48 Old Perth Road commencing at 7.00pm on Wednesday 1 December 2010. This forum will be attended by the architect of the concept plan and the Councillors of the Town of Bassendean.
See the Concept Plans >>>
How can I have my say?
You can have your say by printing and completing the tear-off slip from this issue (pdf), or by making a submission online using this form.
Completed forms can be lodged at:
- the Customer Service Centre, 35 Old Perth Road;
- the Bassendean Memorial Library, 46 Old Perth Road; or
- online at using this form.